The following contains 4 basic teachings of the LDS Church with the references to these doctrines and a comparison to see if the Bible corresponds to these basic teachings.1
Basic Teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
1. The Nature of God
Adam, from the Garden of Eden, is our Father and our God and the only God with whom we have to do.2 God Himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man with a body as tangible as man’s3 who lives near the star Kolob.4 He was once a child who had a father before Him, who had a father before Him…5 an eternal progression of gods.6 He is also a member of a council of gods.7 God has not always been God; He progressed to become the god of this planet.8 There is a plurality of gods, as well as a mother god in heaven.9
Jesus is a created being,10 one god among many gods,11 the spiritual brother of Satan,12 a polygamist,13 and was not begotten by the Holy Spirit, but rather was conceived by Heavenly Father having sexual intercourse with Mary instead of letting any other man do it.14
3. A Member’s Responsibility
You’ve got to learn to become gods yourselves…just as all gods have done before you.15 The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy.16 If any of you will deny the plurality of wives, and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned.17
Salvation is not by grace through faith alone, but by grace, after all we can do.18 You must be obedient to the laws and ordinances of Christ.19 You must be immersed in water for salvation.20 You must confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Joseph Smith is a true prophet at the same time trying with your might to live the holy principles, in order to be in possession of God’s Holy Spirit.21 You must have the passport and consent of Joseph Smith to enter the mansion where God and Christ are.22 The blood of Christ will never wipe away some sins; your own blood must be spilled in order to atone for them.23
The Bible is inspired scripture in which God breathed the words onto the pages (2 Timothy 3:16). Jesus said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” (Matthew 24:35). Knowing the inerrancy of God’s Word, revelation that purports to be added to scripture must coincide with already existing revelation if they are to be from the same God. Below is a biblical response to LDS theology.
1. The Nature of God
God created Adam (Genesis 1:27) and formed Adam from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life (Genesis 2:7). Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and Him only shalt that serve (Matthew 4:10). God has been God from all eternity (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalm 90:2, 93:2). God does not have a body of flesh and bones but is spirit (John 4:24; Luke 24:39). There were no gods formed before God, and no gods will exist after Him (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10, 44:6, 45:5, 45:22; 1 Corinthians 8:1-6). God said that He doesn’t know of any other gods (Isaiah 44:8). Jesus taught that there is only one God (Mark 12:28-34; Revelation 22:7-13).
Jesus was not created, but rather created all things in existence including Satan (John 1:1-3; Colossians 1:14-17). Jesus is the eternal God (Isaiah 9:6-7, 7:14; Micah 5:2; Matthew 1:12; John 1:1, 14, 8:58, 10:30-33; Philippians 2:5-11; Colossians 1:14-19; Acts 20:28; Titus 2:13). Jesus was begotten by the Holy Spirit, and was miraculously conceived (Matthew 1:18-20; Luke 1:35).
3. A Member’s Responsibility
There were no gods formed before God, and there won’t be any after Him—which excludes the opportunity to become gods on day (Isaiah 43:10, 44:6, 8). God commanded not to multiply wives, Jesus also confirmed this teaching (Deuteronomy 17:17; Matthew 19:4-6).
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8-9; John 6:28-29). Man is justified by faith without deeds of the law (John 6:47; Romans 3:20-31, 4:1-8, 5:1-2; Galatians 2:16, 21, 3:10-13, 5:4; Titus 3:5). Baptism by water immersion is only a picture of what has happened to you spiritually; the water does not save you (1 Corinthians 1:17; 1 Peter 3:21). That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved (Romans 10:9). Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (John 14:6). Once you are saved from your sin and sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, the blood of Christ cleanses you from all sins (1 John 1:9; Ephesians 1:13-14; John 10:29; Romans 8:37-39).
The Way to a New Life in Jesus Christ
The gospel that our Lord came and preached was one of hope to those that are lost. The Lord Jesus commanded everyone to repent, He said, “except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3, 5). He taught very clearly that when a lost soul trusted in Him for their salvation, they would “have” everlasting life and forgiveness of their sins (John 3:15-18, 36, 5:24). When He was asked, “What shall we do that we may work the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent” (John 6:28-29).
The Scriptures are abundantly clear about our lost state: “There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God” (Romans 3:10-12) and that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). “All of our righteousness are as filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6).
The only hope for the sinner who has turned against the Holy God, is through the grace of God and the full payment of His Son on Calvary. “For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not by works, lest any man should boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9). The Apostle Paul declared, “Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight” (Romans 3:20), and “we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law” (Romans 3:28). Paul taught that you actually fall from God’s grace when you attempt to mix faith and works (Galatians 5:4). It has been said, “Justification takes place once for all; it is not repeated neither is it a process; it is completed at once and for all time. There is no more of less in justification; man is either fully justified, of he is not justified at all.” When God has drawn you to Himself, and you turn to Him in faith, the righteousness of Jesus Christ is charged to your account, and all of your sins were laid on Him on the Cross (Romans ch. 3-5).
The Scriptures are constantly warning us against “another gospel” (Galatians 1:6-9), even another “Jesus,” and a different “Spirit” (2 Corinthians 11:4). Even the most sincere believer in a false Jesus, is sincerely wrong. If you do not have the Jesus revealed in the Holy Scripture you have embraced a false “Way” (John 14:6). The Bible commands believers everywhere to “prove all things” (1 Thessalonians 5:21) and to earnestly contend for the faith, which was once delivered unto the saints (Jude 3). You have received this information from someone who cares very deeply for you. This is not an issue you can wait to answer. We exhort you, in the name of our Great God and Savior Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13), to look at this information and what you believe in light of God’s revealed word. Please feel free to contact uswith any questions. We would be honored to meet, share God’s word with you ans answer any questions you have.
- This page is based on a tract from concernedchristians.com
- Journal of Discourses: Vol. 1, pg. 50-51; Vol. 3, pg. 319; Vol. 4, pg. 271; Vol. 6, pg. 275.
- Journal of Discourses: Vol. 6, pg. 3; Vol. 6, pg. 4; Vol. 9, pg. 286; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Fielding Smith, pg. 345-347; Mormon Doctrine by Bruce McConkie, pg. 321, 589; Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; Articles of Faith by James Talmage, pg. 42-43.
- Pearl of Great Price: Abraham 3:3-13.
- Achieving a Celestial Marriage, pg. 129; The Seer, pg. 132; History of the Church, Vol. 6, pg. 476; Mormon Doctrine by Bruce McConkie, pg. 322; Journal of Discourses, Vol. 5, pg. 19; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Fielding Smith, pg. 347, 370, 373.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, pg. 4-5.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, pg. 3-4.
- History of the Church, Vol. 6, pg. 474, 476; Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, pg. 10; The Seer by Orson Pratt, pg. 158.
- History of the Church, Vol. 6, pg. 474; Mormon Doctrine by Bruce McConkie, pg. 576-577; Pearl of Great Price: Abraham 4:1; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Fielding Smith, pg. 370.
- The Seer, pg. 132.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, pg. 271; Vol. 6, pg. 3-5.
- Mormon Doctrine by Bruce McConkie, pg. 164, 192, 193, 590; Gospel Through the Ages by Milton R. Hunter, pg. 15.
- The Seer by Orson Pratt, pg. 159, 172; Journal of Discourses, Vol. 2, pg. 210; Vol. 4, pg. 259.
- The Seer, pg. 158; Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pg. 50-51; Vol. 4, pg. 218; Vol. 8, pg. 115; Vol. 11, pg. 268.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, pg. 4
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, pg. 269.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, pg. 266.
- 2 Nephi 25.
- Articles of Faith #3.
- The Seer, pg. 255.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 9, pg. 312.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, pg. 289.
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, pg. 108; Vol. 3, pg. 247; Vol. 4, pg. 49, 50, 53-54; Doctrines of Salvation by Joseph Fielding Smith, Vol. 1, pg. 135; Mormon Doctrine by Bruce McConkie, pg. 92-93.
For FREE online studies, about knowing Jesus Christ through His written Word, the Holy Bible, click here BIBLE INSTITUTE.